Wednesday, February 1, 2012

In the Interim...

Luke 19:13b  'Engage in business until I come.'  (ESV)


Well that's pretty straightforward. Jesus told this parable because He was nearing Jerusalem and eschatological expectancy was building - "they supposed that the kingdom of God was to appear immediately" (v. 1). Like the twelve didn't understand that Jesus came to Jerusalem to die (18:34), the crowds didn't understand that Jesus came to bring (initiate) the kingdom, not consummate it.


Do business 'til I come. That's really the whole point of this parable. Seeing this in retrospect is actually an advantage to us. We know that Jesus didn't come to overthrow Roman rule. The kingdom of God is already present in the advent of Jesus. But until the "not yet" comes we are to engage in the King's business until He returns. Brad, today, use your time, treasure and talents for the furtherance of His kingdom here on earth - in your sphere of influence: 'I give you authority!' (Luke 10:19).


Holy Spirit speak clearly to me today - convict my heart. Father God, my creator, give me strength to act - for obedience is better than sacrifice (1 Sam. 5:22). Jesus my Lord, teach me, guide my life - Jesus is Lord!


In the name of the King - King Jesus!
                                                        Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment