Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Call - Urgent & Irresistible

Matthew 4:19-20  And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." Immediately they left their nets and followed him.  (ESV)

Jesus could not have picked two more ordinary men for His first disciples - Peter and Andrew. Two brothers, on a presumably ordinary day. Hard working guys "casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen" (v. 18). Had God been working in their hearts, preparing them for this day, this call? Probably, for we know that Messianic expectations were high, what with John the Baptist and all. And along comes this Rabbi. They left their nets and followed Him. James and John left their father (v. 22). Elsewhere, it says 'they forsook all and followed Him.'

When you have a genuine encounter with Jesus, the call is irresistible. The urgency is immediate (v. 20, 22). He will train them. They will hear Him speak many times (ch. 5-9) and they will see many wonders before He sends them out (10:5f.), but the call to follow Jesus is now! Is He calling you today? I know He is calling me. The draw is strong, almost irresistible (save my stubborn will). The need is urgent, immediate: "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."

I will follow. Teach me. Show me. I am Yours. I don't know. That's why I'm the student and You are the teacher. I am the disciple. You are the Rabbi. Come Holy Spirit and fill me with the Spirit of Jesus as I follow. I want to be a diligent learner. Fill me with Your wisdom and discernment to recognize the scripture twisting deceptions of the devil: 'If you were really a Christian...' (cf. v. 6). Empower me Holy Spirit to minister to others. I am Yours. Teach me wisdom, Lord Jesus, I am Yours. I will follow.

In Jesus' name - Amen
                                 Son
 

No comments:

Post a Comment