Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Transforming and Purifying Fire

Matthew 3:11  I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.  (ESV)

John's mission was one of preparation, his message one of repentance in anticipation of the coming Messiah. To be sure, repentance is still of central importance in Jesus, but His is a baptism of transformation and a purifying fire. You will never be the same.

Once you encounter Jesus, the old you cannot stand. The Holy Spirit does a powerful work of sanctification: setting apart, purifying. As Pastor Christina said back in October: the Holy Spirit transforms us by truth, conviction, and power. He has made us spotless. There is no condemnation for us who are in Christ Jesus. You will never be the same, once you have a genuine encounter with Jesus. He will baptize (immerse) you in the Spirit and fire!

Come Holy Spirit, fill me. Not only fill me but immerse me, in You. That I know nothing else but Christ and Him crucified. Let Your truth convict me and Your power transform me. Come Lord Jesus, I am Yours. Let Your kingdom come - purify me with fire, consuming fire. Set me apart, for Your glory.

In Jesus' name - Amen,
                                 Son

No comments:

Post a Comment