Friday, January 13, 2012

The Light Inside*

Luke 11:41  But give as alms those things that are within and behold, everything is clean for you. (ESV)

Jesus was just speaking in the previous paragraph about your whole body being full of light (v. 34). Here in the Pharisees house, He is similarly addressing "greed and wickedness" (v. 39) within. If the condition of our heart (inner self, real self) is good then we can freely give of that goodness within in the site God with no shame. This is completely freeing. But if there is darkness within us, all we can give is external appearance of obedience to a moral code or some (perhaps arbitrary) religious rule(s). But what about "justice and the love of God" (v. 42)?

Lord Jesus, search my heart. Know me, Holy Spirit for You now me. Fill me with light from the Father of light - for all good gifts come down from above (James 1:17). I am not deserving of this. But You have called me - "Come." You have loved me - Me! You have saved me - King Jesus. And now you bid me to "Follow."

In Jesus' name - Amen,

                                  Son

*taken from the title of the Album The Light Inside by Gary Chapman

No comments:

Post a Comment