Monday, January 23, 2012

Let's Get to Work!

Luke 15:20b  But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him.  (ESV)

Three parables all focused on the rejoicing that occurs when a lost sinner repents (v. 3-22). And it all begins with the Pharisee's grumbling accusation that "This man receives sinners and eats with them" (v. 2). The father sees the silhouette of his son far off - probably recognizing his gate. The rejoicing, the compassion, the party: "let us eat and celebrate. For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost and is found" (v. 23-24).


Let's not be like the older brother here: 'Him, you're letting him back in the house!?!' (v. 30f.). Brad, don't disdain the heart of an evangelist. You want others to affirm your gift? You can't be critical  of the gifting of another. The heart of the evangelist and the heart of a teacher work together to accomplish the great commission. "You bring 'em in, I'll disciple them." Repentance is at the heart of the gospel. When one sinner repents, it's time to throw a party! (v. 7, 9-10).


God bless my friends and brothers (& sisters) in Christ: the Pastor-Evangelists. Though it is not my gifting it is Your gifting for them and to the body, for Your glory. I repent for my judgmental attitude. 'Bring 'em in fellas* - and let's get to work!' Holy Spirit, put a check in my soul when the spirit of the older brother (the Pharisee) tries to rise up in me. Jesus I present myself as a living sacrifice - for Your kingdom, for Your glory.


In Jesus' name - Amen,
                                Son


*with apologies, Ladies, for the non- gender neutral language here (That would have gotten me in all kinds of trouble in grad school!)

No comments:

Post a Comment