Friday, March 4, 2011

People vs. Religion

Matthew 15:5-6  But you say, 'If anyone tells his father or his mother, "What you have gained from me is given to God," he need not honor his father.'  So for the sake of your tradition you have made void the word of God.  (ESV)

It is interesting that God's command valued people (the parents) whereas the Pharisee's tradition valued religion above people.  So much so that if one made a religious vow they were accordingly allowed to ignore/violate one of the 10 Commandments.  Thus Jesus' indictment that they valued their tradition more than the word of God.  To be sure, our allegiance to God ought to exceed our allegiance to men (humans - Luke 14:26), but 6 of the 10 Commandments are concerned with horizontal relationships (i.e. with our fellow man/human).

Brad, there are things that God does require of you.  But don't let the word of God become void to you in respect to what He requires of you in human relationships so that you can fulfill religious duty or obligations.

God help me to see.  You make relationship a priority.  So ought I.  Let my time spent with You flow out into blessing for others I encounter.  God grant me disciples, if even I am worthy of such.

In Jesus' name - Amen,

                                    Son

No comments:

Post a Comment